View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #660
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Hmmm that red and black sure does bring to mind a certain school

The frame is lookin' great!
Personally, I would probably go with the Vintage Air kit because I'm frugal that way
Haha ...I will be changing to Crimson...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
John, the VA system would also function MUCH better than the original style, especially with the modern R134a refrigerant. While the OE system would be cool to have and keep the truck period correct, the VA system will be a better value in the long run. ONLY a pure 100% correct stock restoration make the OE system valuable in my opinion...
I have kicked it around back and forth OE vs VA....so follow my thoughts...I know it may be hard...lol

I have been looking on FB marketplace, Craigslist, Ebay and pretty much every other place that I can find that sells old chevy trucks for 1 truck...a 66 C10 SWB, Fleet,BBW,Custom Cab,327 truck and lets just say I havent found one....I do know where one is at but he wont sell it because it has factory AC, PS, PB, Auto, 327........

I also talked with several folks who supposedly know and unless you have the build sheet or original service paperwork there is hardly anyway to tell if the truck came with PB, PS, AC etc....motors are different because of the numbers on them. Again Im not trying to deceive anyone about my truck....but AC was added by many dealers as an accessory...I know one person who has a NOS AC set up, again he wont let it go( Dont blame him)

I talked with a couple folks about original OE setups and found that all run R12 and have asked if the compressor and associated parts can be converted to R134a....IF they can be converted to R134a I am leaning that way.

I have purchased the center and outer vents from CorvetteJim here on the forum from his website coolc10, which btw are on sale because I like the stock look of it and while I understand the outside vents were never there I think it just helps cool and they look good as well.....and along with the original deluxe heater and AC controls I lean that way.

My "Plan" for my truck originally was to change the leaking rear main seals and drive it....Boy I missed that mark..lol especially when I saw the broke main cap bolts, and upside down pistons........

I can buy all original parts for what I want to do...Power Brakes, Power Steering ( they all leak from what Im told) AC etc....but the cost associated with "Original" outweighs function in my opinion....except the AC because of the look....and many things I am doing is based solely on looks...ie C60 grille, chromed sail panels, grille, park lamp bezels, horn ring, button etc....

I am changing the brakes to power because I was given a free booster and dual master cylinder, 5 lug discs because they were on sale as well as the rear axles.

I guess in hind sight the bolt fiasco was a blessing because it gave me time to really think about which way to go on the build and allow me to accumulate parts over a period of time without a big chunk leaving at one time.

All that said...lol If I can get the OE Ac in R134a I "think" that is the way I am going to go for no other reason than I think it will look better and hopefully cool....no doubt itll be better than no AC at all...lol

the journey continues.......................
2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote