View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #36
mrhino
Account Suspended

Re: Build #2 Crusader!

I got my engine block back from the machinest the other day. He hot tanked it, bored it .30 over and polished my crank. I went to throw it up on the stand, and there is that broken bell housing bolt I forgot to deal with months ago when I tore the engine down. I tried drilling it but Im sure it was a hardened bolt and I couldn't even get a small hole in it.
When I was at the swap meet a few moths back I bought a Harris cutting torch and regulators new in the box and have been tring ever since to find some decent used tanks at a good price. well no can do! So I bit the bullet and bought some new tanks and a cart. from the local welding supplier.
When I was in high school shop class about 20 years ago my shop teacher showed me how to burn out broken bleeder screws in calipers. I must have been pretty good at it because I can remember doing quite a few of them. most of the dumb @ss kids in class would break em off when we would rebuild calipers. Anyway I figured it should work the same on this. So I fired up my new torch and had at it. I had that broken bolt out and on the floor in a pile of molten metal. I tapped the hole and had it on the stand in a matter of minutes. That was almost worth the price of the torch and tanks. Almost

with the block on the stand, I painted it cast iron gray and oiled it up so it can sit in the corner of the garage until I get the rear disc conversion and the seats done. I also got my $20 swap meet piston hung on the rods.

some of you will notice: that is a pretty big dish. and you would be right 21.5 cc

Last edited by mrhino; 12-31-2011 at 05:38 PM.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote