View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Best lowering suspension advice NEEDED

I fabbed it up myself with off the shelf U bolts, new perches, and 5/16 plate for the mount.

I took some 1/8 strip plate we found, and made shock extenders to work at the height he wanted.

We didn't use drop spindles since we modded enough for a 6 inch front drop with out them, and the ability to get up to 7. He ran 245/60/15's on 8 inch rims so the height was fairly low. Plus they were close, and on a hard bump would touch. That is why we used the C20 springs, and C30 shocks to help stop excess movement.

If you section the cross member buy a extra one that way you can mod at your pace before you swap it in.

When I did his front end the engine, and tranny were out getting a rebuild. So I had him drop it off at my house with out the front clip. I used a high pressure pressure washer to clean it up, and set to work.

I double sectioned the cross member to help with oil pan clearance with the Z. If you ever had to work on it, and I narrowed it to help with header clearance. Then when I z'd the frame 2.5 inches I angle cut it to move it forward 1 inch like people say to help with centering the wheels. That gave me a 4 inch drop, and we did 2 on the cut C20 springs. I relocated the shocks up in the frame with pieces they cut out at a junkyard.

In all since they did most of the prep work it took me 2 days to do the mod, and one of his friends was there helping a bit. When I pulled the front end apart he took it to have new bushings pressed in. I did the work for the cost of a drop kit since I had vacation days I needed to use or lose, and I needed a few bucks for my project truck. So it worked out good for both of use. Then they reassembled the front end, ground off my support bars, shoved 2x4's into the spring pockets, and took it to his house. Then they added the C20 springs after the 350 was in place, and trimmed it a few times to get it just right.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote