Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #134
SCOTI

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Thanks for the advise on the welds, I get what your saying and I'm not doing that(obviously you can see that i'm not ) and will start trying that method.

AND Oh man, I'm glad you told me that!! I didn't know the flange wasn't able to support the tank... That sucks because I really didn't like the straps but now I guess I will have to use them after all... I will be looking into making a different bolt setup for the straps as I don't like what they designed. The j-hook or whatever they call it will dig into my painted frame and cause it to crack and then rust... Might be as simple as just adding a washer under it we will see.

And I got curious and found your recycle build. I quickly flipped through and found your tank stuff on page 26 or so. I don't see straps on your setup either but I assume your not done yet. I see some of your other work and dang man, experience really shows, your doing some amazing work over there. Didn't realize your were in Dallas. I'm in Justin just behind TMS. Maybe someday we can check each others rides out.

Thanks!!
You should be able to make 'straps' that connect to a common tab. Just make them so they work w/the current mounting plates you already created. Basically a 'sammich'..... The plate/anchor inside the rail (one slice of the bread); the gas tank flange (the meats or PB); & the gas tank strap/flange for under the rail (the other piece of bread). The bolts would go through the tank-strap flange, through the tank flange + rail; & then thread into your mounting flange inside the rail. My re-pop tank has 2 channels formed into the steel where the straps would be positioned under the tank for the added support that will dictate the size of your 'tank-strap' flange.

I did mine that way but now have to re-create them (I did a similar mount/set-up like your build for bolting the tank in place using nuts welded to a plate). But, my tank was originally set-up for my old 68 swb truck w/stock rear rails. For that app, I actually set the tank between the frame rails, raised it 2" so it wouldn't hang as low, & made shorter S.S. straps that worked w/the raised position. The bed floor was getting raised 3" so raising the tank wasn't an issue.

Since I raised the rails on this frame & I'm using a wood floor, I'm going to mount the tank under the rail like OE. I'll modify (shorten) my inner frame piece w/the welded nuts for inside the rails & re-make the tank straps to accommodate the increased depth under the rails.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote