Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #145
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Undercoating the cab | Part 2

Well it only took a couple of coats of the rubberized undercoating tonight and I am officially done. The lizard skin cured over night and man did it look good. That pro gun really was nice. I forgot to mention it was ridiculously easy to clean up too. Anyway tonight I simply blew off the cab and sprayed the rubber undercoating. I decided to buy the aerosol cans since it's price was better than getting the quart size container and there was no cleanup. These cans are larger than your normal paint can too. 18oz cans. They have a ton of pressure inside them too and the pressure outlasts the material in the can.

This stuff comes out of the can really nice, they did a good job with this stuff. However, one thing I learned was to hold the can about 24 inches from your surface, not the 12 inches it calls for. When you hold it out further it sprays really good and doesn't build up and bubble. It took me a min to figure this out so I have a little blotching/big bubbles or whatever its called.

I did 2 coats, first one light, second one heavy. 15 min between coats.

Here are the pics.

First coat:

Second coat:

Close up after 2nd coat. This is an area that turned out the way its supposed to. When I figured out holding the can 24 inches away it sprayed perfectly.

I taped off this line under the firewall. Turned out pretty cool looking. All 3 layers of products go up to that line. I plan on smoothing the upper firewall some so that comes next.

Here you can see some of the area like under the firewall cowl and on the side kick panel where I got too close and it bubbled some. But even these areas came out better after the second coat went on. And it dries pretty quickly.

I will be using this same rubberized undercoating on the underneath side of the inner fenders and other body panels that can benefit from this.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote