Thread: 1953 Awakening
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
1956cameo

Re: 1953 Awakening

Marte_McFly, Thanks for subscribing. I will definitely keep you updated starting right now!

So the more I look at this truck the more crusty I realize that it is. It isn't anything that we cant handle, it is just going to make this project take a little longer than we thought. This also means that we wont be able to leave it in the original paint.

The first thing I noticed was that the side and front bed panels were pretty well corroded around where the bed floor would have originally been. I decided the best thing to do would be replace them with better ones from a parts truck. I will keep the fenders and rear cross sill but everything else will be replaced.
So here is a picture of the original bed on the truck for the last time after 60 years of service.

After about three hours of grinding and breaking off bolts I finally got the bed torn completely apart and removed from the frame.

Now that the front clip and bed are removed we have nothing restricting us from performing the metal work on the cab. We will completely do everything on the drivers side than we will tackle the passenger side. We wen't ahead and took the door off for more access.

As usual there was plenty of rust in the cab corner.

I was able to remove the outer cab corner without much effort. Since I did not have the replacement inner cab corner I left it in place for now.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote