View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 12:40 AM   #71
JJorgensen52
Simple? What's simple?

Re: New project! The "Red Herring"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Plug welding a 5/16" hole that is placed every three inches should be good. And if you see that isn't good enough, you could do some stitch welds. Making good progress.
I have been using 1/4" plug welds on 2" centers so far and that's been working out pretty well for me. I tried a different approach today and I think it worked out better - I used a higher current to build an initial bead on the thicker base metal, then turned down the juice and welded the outer panel to that initial bead.
I do think I am going to weld the rear panel to the floor from above behind where the braces land (so as to hide it), just the same.

Progress! Rear floor sections both fully burned in

Test fitting the center pan sections. I have a bit more trimming and tweaking to do on these than the rears.

I am also planning to add a "channel" brace to the floor where the front pans meet the center pans - I will probably use two pieces of 1"x1"x3/32" angle space about 3" flange to flange for that purpose, to add some rigidity. I'm going to be building a custom seat mount and the front feet are going to land right about where the joint is.

Lastly, here's a flavor of things to come:

Guesses on what cars I'm using parts from now?? I am going to use the same style knobs and bezels for all of the switchgear in the cab, and it will match the levers on the column as well.
'66 Impala SS convertible 327-QJet-glide (4 speed swap one of these days...) Photos
'69 CST/10 4x4 SWB Stepper 350 2bbl - NV4500/NP241C (Broken Truck!)
'72 Sierra Grande 2WD LWB fleetside 350-TH350 Refresh
'99 K2500 Silverado RCLB 5.7 Vortec - NV4500/NP241C (Daily)
'99 K2500 Suburban 7.4 Vortec - NV4500/NP246 (still working out the bugs)
SOLD
'71 Custom/10 2WD LWB fleetside - '72 GMC K/3500 Dually (Sold to redryder)
JJorgensen52 is offline   Reply With Quote