View Single Post
Old 04-30-2023, 06:23 PM   #52
AussieinNC

Re: Gas Prices - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Being a PUD, they are able to purchase locally generated electricity at a lower rate and pass the savings along to their customers. In low water years, local dams can't produce enough power, so the difference must be bought from other sources, at prevailing rates. Those higher costs are then passed to customers in the form of a drought relief surcharge.

Back to gas prices. I lost an old (but perfectly usable) commercial-grade chain saw by letting it sit too long with ethanol-tainted gas in it. Expensive lesson learned, I now buy ethanol-free gas (race fuel, they say) for all my small engines. Last stuff I bought was $8+ at the bulk plant in the city. I'm running low so I stopped by today for a couple more gallons. Place was closed up tighter than a drum. I called the number, yep, they no longer have a retail outlet there, but they say I can buy ethanol-free gas at the nearby saw shop. OK, I go there and find 5 gallon cans for $95 + tax, total nearly $102. That's over $20 per gallon! Thanks but no thanks. Maybe Google can tell me how to separate ethanol from gasoline. Meantime, I'll turn off the fuel supply & run 'em until they stop.... which is what I should have been doing anyway.
To separate ethanol from standard mix gas you can use of all things...water....
Test this...add some water, about 1/2" into a small bottle and fill the remainder of the bottle with standard mix gas. Cap the bottle and shake is for a minute or two, leave it sit and the ethanol will separate to the bottom of the bottle....

I routinely check so called Non Ethanol fuels using this method...it works everytime.

Note....removing the ethanol will lower the octane rating of the gas...may cause engine knock and damage.

Small engines are especially susceptible to ethanol degradation of fuel system parts, especially if the ethanol mix fuel is left in the bowl of the carb or tank. Ethanol attracts water from the atmosphere, it collects in the fuel tank and the destruction begins.

Local non ethanol gas at the local gas station is around $4.70 a gallon.

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote