Thread: Vin removal
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #27
jp9124

Re: Vin removal

I have built a few CJ jeeps, bought a few jeep body's and frames out of state. I have never found the vin stamped on a frame, (not saying its not on there somewhere) you can buy complete new frames now along with new tubs to replace the ones that have completely rusted away. The only thing that has ever mattered to my local DMV is the original steel plate on the firewall that can be separated from the old body's and the legal title to that vin# that I hold, placed back on the firewall (it also acts as a nice template for cutting holes on new fiberglass body's). It is the only thing they ever check, when they are looking for a vin for inspection and I usually point them to it. These inspections, when necessary, used to be done by the highway patrol, more recently it has been regular DMV employees. This is in the state of Ohio, I can not comment on other states as I have never registered a vehicle anywhere else.

My opinion is that when dealing with classic cars that you may be completely restoring, is that there is a VIN# stamped on it somewhere and a legal title to that VIN#. If that piece of the vehicle is original, you hold the title to it, and the rest of the vehicle has been refurbished around it, it is still the same vehicle that you have the title for. If a VIN# is on the frame, I would graft that piece onto the vehicle as well, etc, etc.
jp9124 is offline   Reply With Quote