View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 12:16 AM   #33
stangtjk

Re: Blazer top sag / repair

Digging this one back up for anyone still wanting to attempt this... My top had 6 distinct areas that were sagging pretty bad and there was no way I would have been satisfied with the top after putting so much work into the rest of the truck. In the picture below you can see the 3 sections I cut out on the one half and the 3 sections on the other half that are sagging as outlined by where I sanded.

So I've started repairing the sags and it looks like this method will work out pretty well and it really isn't difficult. I fixed 2 of the 6 sections as a test and ordered some more materials to do there rest.

1. Cut out the sagging areas between each of the internal supports being careful not to cut through the inside layer. As you can see it was really easy to tell where the supports were on mine before making the cuts.

2. Glue a 1/2 thick piece of rigid foam insulation where you cut out the section.

3. Use a block sander long enough to span across the supports to cut the foam down to shape. The the sections of the top left over the supports acts as you guide so it's easy to shape the foam.

4. Fiberglass over the foam using woven cloth and epoxy resin.

To start with I used a couple of the small packs of the bondo brand fiberglass cloth just to try this method out. I'm satisfied with how it worked out so I've ordered a larger roll of cloth so I can cover the whole top with a single piece. I recommend getting enough cloth to cover the whole area from the start if you decide to attempt this. The small packs are a rip-off, the two areas shown below are the exact size of what come in the packs and I did 3 layers. So that was three packs and they are like $6 each at lowes. In comparison I ordered a 60" x 30 ft roll of cloth for $40 which is enough to put 4 layers across all 6 areas at one time.

I'm also considering molding in some raised ribs while I'm at it. It'd give it a little extra strength and possibly serve as a roof rack.

I'll post the finished product once complete.
Attached Images

Last edited by stangtjk; 09-05-2017 at 12:22 AM.
stangtjk is offline   Reply With Quote