View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
66 C10 383

My First Classic Truck Build

Let me give a little rundown of the what & why of my truck build ...

Having a few Camaros in the past, I'm not new to doing upgrades to my cars. My last drivable project was an 84 Cutlass that slowly progressed from the stock 3.8/auto to a 350 Chevy with TH350 auto. That turned into a 383 TPI motor with a T5 manual. The 383 soon ate that T5 and I bought an Aftermarket Tremec T56 and swapped on an Accel Superam in place of the stock TPI plenum and runners.

The 383 ended up breaking a ring land and ring ... time for a rebuild. But, most automotive guys like us can't just do a simple rebuild ...

Well, by the time the checkbook was empty my little 383 was now a 385 (.040 bore) with AFR 190 heads, Comp XFI 280 hydraulic roller cam (230 int./236 exh. @ .050 0.576" int./0.570" exh. on 113* Lobe Separation) with about 10-1 compression. The Superam plenum is beefed up with a 58mm Holley throttle body and 30# injectors. Estimates are in the 450 - 500 range for both horsepower and torque. The T56 will again be behind the 383.

My initial plans and goals for the 66 is a (mainly) daily driven truck. Not quite rat rod but nothing super fancy either. Kinda leaning towards a satin black ...

I've always thought a flatbed/stake bed truck with beer keg gas tanks on each side (between the cab and rear tires) would be sweet looking and my Corvette side pipes will now be exhaust stacks behind the cab. My 20 gal. fuel cell will probably be my main tank in the rear frame rails rather than trying to modify 2 beer kegs to run my fuel injection.

I plan on lowering it probably with 2.5" spindles/2" front springs and between a 3" or 4" drop in back. I'd like to have some rake but nothing drastic. The drop amount will be determined by the tire sizes to get that "just right" stance.

A "Hot Rod Flatbed" has to have some decent sized rear tires (and $500 each M/T Sportsman's are outta my budget!) I've been looking at running 305/50/20's on a set of black or gray Showwheels Streeters 20x10's and probably 255/55/18's on front.

Since this will be driven regularly, a few modern conveniences are in order, namely power steering and power disc brakes along with a/c.

I'll start all my questions in my next post ...
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote