View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #16
Slowguy

Re: Prep right before painting frame after sand blasting

Now that I’ve actually done my homework (obsessive searches and reading opinions and instructions) and worked with this stuff I can say if it’s applied correctly, it’s virtually indestructible. I sand blasted and according to por15 instructions, that alone is enough to go ahead and coat. Instead, after blasting, I went ahead and used their prep stuff including the etching. I applied three coats in the method of letting it tack and test with the finger drag. This stuff is like rock. And I think it actually somehow permeates the metal. Like the metal absorbs it somwhat. On top of this I’m using the por15 “tie” coat which is now called “high build primer” and can be applied even after the por15 has cured. On top of that primer, I can apply any (most) type of coating I wish and I think I’ll use a two part chassis coat from Eastwood.

Had I known all that would be necessary to do this correctly, I would have opted for another method. Talk about time consuming! It’s too late now, however, and since I’m this far into it I have to complete the process. After seeing the results I find it difficult to imagine anything that would be stronger or better. Research, research then more research. Sandblast, Prep, prep and paint. Bonding tie coat, then top coat. Stuff will be an inch think by the time I’m through!
Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote