View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
Haggar

Re: 1971 Jimmy with 6.0 LQ4 / 4L65, 4" lift/33s.. basic family fun cruiser

So, I decided to swap to an LS motor, and to an automatic, as this is for a family cruiser, with a slight chance that we'd take it to the sand dunes. I like the look for a lift and bigger tires, and this gave clearance for the front axle <--> oil pan later.

The lift is a Tuff Country 4" EZ Ride, and I added Bilstein shocks, I believe the 7000 series. Tires are 33x12.5R15 General Grabber AT2s on 15x10 Aluminum wheels.

I think I lifted the back first, then waited on the front because it's easier to do the engine swapping with a lower vehicle height..

Overall, the rust isn't too bad, and things came apart pretty well. I'm in Michigan, and everything is usually rotten here, but I had this shipped in from out of state. The only stubborn part was the cone washers on the steering arm refused to come out. I've done lots of cone washers on Toyota axles in the past, and am pretty good with them, but these were a nightmare. In the end, I had to drill each washer into several pieces, and remove the remaining splinters, then another 30 minutes with a sledge to get the arm off the studs. Fun times.

So I got the back done.. then it sat for about 3 years as life and lots of business travel got in the way..
Attached Images

Last edited by Haggar; 09-07-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote