View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #4
dagnabbitt

Re: 700R4 Tranny for $150 - Buy or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the67Beast View Post
Yeah its 2WD. I have been researching a bit on it but just don't have any price information. At the least it would give me a core if I needed one. I have heard good things about having an OD tranny and with a 3.73 rear end I should still be able to lite up the rear tires if I want to!
I run into lots of people on this forum who who don't like the 700r4 for one reason or another - I am sure they know what is best for their truck, and I assume that they are not starting with an old howling 350C lock up like I did - but depending upon your application I don't really see a downside to a better first gear AND overdrive. As long as it is mated to a nice small block and you don't plan on doing any serious towing it's a great transmission.

I drive the highway/freeway about 60 miles a day and I cannot overemphasize what it did not just for RPMs and fuel economy, but for drivability. It lights them up and as a bonus if it is built right the tires break loose when it hits second gear too. Mine does, and my 350 is tired.

I'm a bit out of the loop on prices but it sounds like you are paying no more than core price for it. It is possible you could pull one yourself from a junkyard for a little less. Make sure you have the TV cable and bracketry etc included or you might as well do just that.

Mine is a 91 as well, they had them figured out by then and they were still non-electronic until 93.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote