View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 03:22 AM   #5
Ventanakaz

Re: Smeding Performance 383 Extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Probably no more than a 1000 miles, if that. The car's been finished for only 3 months. I'm not sure which version of the 383 he has, but I'll find out.

I was just saying that the one you ordered may be a bit much on the street. You'll probably want a torque converter with a higher stall speed. If the TH350 comes with a converter, check with TCI to see if it's optimal for your engine. They will probably want to know the camshaft specs at .050" duration.

The truck should be a blast to drive, but even with 30" tires like yours, the engine will be spinning pretty fast at highway speeds with 3.42 gears. I once had a mild 383 in a 69 C10 with a TH350, 29" tires and a 3.08 axle. At anything over 60-65 mph, I was always wishing for a taller rear gear! 3.42 would have been a non-starter for me.

Keep in mind that your 383 will probably make 50% more torque and do it at lower RPM than your old 307, which means it can pull a much taller gear and still accelerate much quicker. Depending on how often you drive at highway speeds, I'd suggest 3.23 maximum.
...Yeah, the transmission won't come with a torque cover, I'll call Smeding Performance, It will differently need an over 2000 converter, At the time the rearend had a going through, I wasn't thinking of this much engine, But your right, the 3.42 isn't probably tall enough for this engine when it comes to highway driving, I wonder what RPMs I'll be pulling @ 70 mph
Ventanakaz is offline   Reply With Quote