View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #95
UniqueOdyssey68

Re: 1972 Medium Olive SWB Driver Build-“Chester”

Nice!
I'm curious, alignment shims on control arm studs, how did you figure out how many to put back in? My front end suspension is all put together but I realized the alignment is way off. Not sure if I can remove any shims without taking it apart again..? Or if I should just wait until it's driving to mess with alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Slow moving progress but getting there. I'll share a few of my trial and tribulations on this install.

Go ahead and purchase (2) sets of Dorman 13503 lower control arm u-bolts for a C30. A nice cheap upgrade and will make installation much easier. The toughest thing I've encountered so far was getting the back bolts out. Most of that has to do with my long tubes.

The instructions for the StreetGrip kit are less than to be desired. For an extreme novice like myself I had questions that the instructions did not answer. I found the Strong Arms instructions to be much more detailed.

I paid to have my bushings and pressed in and shafts installed. I assumed they were ready to install but found the nuts to be zipped on with an impact to the point you could do pullups on the arms and the dowel pins for easy install were the wrong measurement. I found this out once I had already installed them and found a lower arm to be hitting the crossmember. So MEASURE before install.

The Delrin bushings are very tight so don't expect the arms to move as freely as the factory. A Ridetech dealer and one of their guys both confirmed this was normal. Knowing this would have saved me several hours.

BTW I've had great tech support from my dealer and George at Ridetech. Both dealt with me via text late on Saturday night when they didn't have to.

So while waiting on responses on the front I started on the rear. I'm to the point I'm ready to cut in the c-notches but at that point in the evening I was several beers in and figured I'd wait until I have a fresher mind. Still probably going to need few to take the edge off of cutting the frame.

Once I got the info I needed the front went together very easy. I would be completely done with the front other than I couldn't find the shock bolts.

I also cleaned up the fender wells a little and threw some paint on to give it a better appearance.

Hope to get back at it this weekend and possibly finish up.

- long term project '68 C10 true shortbed! Resto-mod. LS swap. Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=769919 "I've still kept this project truck when anyone else would've given up and sold it as is. Giving up is easy, staying the course is part of life's journey"