View Single Post
Old 04-25-2024, 05:31 PM   #6618
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
Your fleet is growing enormously. These things used to drive around on every construction site.
They were really great things. Weren't they called dumpers or something?
Correct.

I love their sound as well with the little Petter engine.

So…..??

Where was I ??

Serendipity.

With planning to do the change to the driveway one of the things I wanted to do was retain the side bed down the side of the hedge boundary.

So the plan was to put up a retaining fence, maybe three bars like an equestrian fence. Maybe some cleft Chestnut Arris rail. Some posts and support from some metposts driven into the ground. Though they can be a nightmare to drive in straight with all the best will and intent in the world. I was going to buy and get some materials delivered this week. Probably £350-400 in materials.

Sunday evening I headed out to Sally’s place for dinner (chicken kebabs) and as I turned the corner 100 meters from her place, the house on the corner had a dumpster/skip out on the drive, with a load of materials in and next to it.

Serendipity??

Of course I stopped up the road, walked back, rang the doorbell and asked if I was in time for dinner when the guy answered the door. He was game and said it would be ready in 20 minutes.

Asking if I could raid the skip and pile next to it, after explaining that I was planning on buying what he had this week, he said “Help yourself “

VW Caddy Van to the rescue.

First load.

No need to kill the little van. Only 2.3 miles.

I already had 5 large Metposts that I had scored from friend Kevin Kellys scrap pile. New, unused.

Looking at the cost of materials, excluding20% VAT and delivery,
Sunday night felt pretty good.

Serendipity and eyes wide open.

Did you hear me mention FREE CASH??

Sorry about the delay.

Been a busy day.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote