View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #112
Root2812

Re: Pre-LS swap questions

Hey everyone. So I have what I think is a simple question and I think I know the answer but its best to ask and know then just go with it and be wrong with a blown up motor. My engine block will be back from the machinist next week and I am ready to build it. Its my first engine build so I bought a book that is a detailed step by step with good pictures and all the torque specs and sequences. How to Rebuild GM LS-Series Engines (S-A Design):... How to Rebuild GM LS-Series Engines (S-A Design):...
The book says to use a fastener lube to get proper torque specs so I bought the ARP one because that is what I could find. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-9909

I read the ARP bottle and the online info but it just says for use with high performance engines and with ARP bolts. I assumed that they only mention their bolts because that's what they want you to buy. Can I use this with the stock (new) torque to yield bolts or do I need something else? Would I use this on all torqued bolts like accessory drive bolts?

So the only update is that my chassis is done and ready for the motor, fuel lines, and brakes. The engine will be back next week and ready for reassembly. When I tore the motor apart all 16 lifters were stuck on their bores so I got 16 new lifters (GM replacements which are LS7 lifters but recommended for all LS motors), the LS2 lifter guides (read they were the ones to use), and a new stock cam from GMpartsdirect.com. I also got a whole slew of other new parts besides the rebuild kit. After being burned on my used engine I didn't want to do that again and new short blocks are too costly. This rebuild will be somewhere between the two cost wise but I will know I have a good new motor as long as I do a good job. I am also happy that I can say that I built everything on this truck!