View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Plastic and Die Cast Trucks

I guess we don't know how good we have it until it's too late. I have one remaining spare GMC grille and a pile of 64-66 Chevy kits so I might use it to build one of those. I thought about creating a "stock" version of my real 1960 GMC which was yellow with white wheels (using an AMT 60 kit), but the project died when I discovered the hood is no longer offered. I called Modelhaus and they explained the molds were just too old and worn out, had very little demand, and since the parts don't fit the new kits they weren’t interested in making repairs. Too bad, I’ve had a lot of people ask where I got the GMC parts, wanting to build their own.

It would certainly be easier to convert an original 60’s Chevy to a GMC (using the Modelhaus parts) since the original and resin parts were the same scale (slightly larger) than the “new” Revell and AMT kits. The resin kit with the GMC hood was very difficult to complete and took over a year, not because it was resin but because I wanted the doors and front clip mated to the roof and the back of the cab from a Revell 64-66 kit. I don’t think the GMC hood would fit very well on a current kit without a lot of work. Good for you having the foresight to get your parts when they were still being produced.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote