View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #26
BAChevyMan

Re: 86 Scottsdale - No start

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
If you really want to start at square one, you should do a compression check. Then check your timing tab/balancer marks. It does kinda sound like the timing chain jumped a tooth but personally I don't believe chevys jump time as easy as other engines. I had a 305 that the timing chain got so loose it wore a hole clean through the timing cover. With good compression and an accurate timing mark it should fire right up.

I was a little confused about a previous post about holding it to the floor to start it. That should not be necessary unless it is really flooded. It is harder on the starter to crank it with the throttle open.
Well the reason I was holding the accelerator to the floor is to try to start it, basically testing if its flooding. My timing light fires off every cycle so I have spark, and if I crank long enough I see clouds of unburnt fuel out of the exhaust. So... I have spark, and I have fuel. There are no air leaks, I already fixed any air leaks I did have. So pretty much at this point... its gotta either be timing or compression. My compression tester is at work though so I am gonna have to do that later. But I am probably going to do compression test and if that's not revealing, going to rip apart the front of the engine to verify timing.
BAChevyMan is offline   Reply With Quote