View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #118
1leglance

Re: 70 C-20 4x4 Suburban Father/Son project

Since the rig ran so well on its first outing we figured we ought to head out of town and play a bit for Black Friday and the Saturday after...beats the crowds any day.

Some strange white mineral deposit from something marked on an old map as a "deep well", the families had fun climbing all over it.

King of Arizona mine and surrounding mines are some neat places to check out. A bunch of work to get the good stuff out of the ground back in the day.

Army proving grounds where live fire happens. Lucky for us nothing going on with the holiday weekend so we could cross over to get to asphalt. At least we hoped there was nothing since the gates were open and no flags flying.

Strange rock hill, really looked out of place. And I parked here at the military signage/gate to make sure we all agreed that it was ok to cross. Nothing like being the guy in front when you aren't sure if the artillery range is live

We found ourselves in Fort Horn, this is one of the place Gen Patton did his desert training in prep for taking on the Germans in Africa. The rocks are laid out where the huts and roads were. Very cool to imagine what it was like in the 40's.

Monument to the men who died out here learning that you need more than a quart of water a day to survive in the desert...hey remember this is the same time in history when folks would go on a picnic to watch atomic bomb testing.
Close up on the stone on the shrine.

All in all I am super happy with all the hard work Nick put into my rig. Still a few things to do but it runs sooo much better and unlike past rigs I don't ever catch myself thinking about replacing it with something else.
Old iron is a joy to see in the driveway, a blast to drive and my entire family is happy with the rig. It has plenty of room to sleep inside and all the ability to go down a trail or down a highway that I could want.
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote