View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #27
americanmusc1e

Re: Project "Old Skool" V.3

Oh man. No update in over three years. Where do I start? I'm looking back at my camera roll to not miss anything.

I did replace my external fuel pump with another GSL392 and re-worked the feed into the fuel pump with 1/2" fuel line. The short answer is external fuel pumps suck, and gas tanks without a sump suck for EFI. More on that later

Oh, and I finally put my interior back together. I still to this day don't have the visors or the heater blower motor installed, but I have door panels, carpet and arm rests.

I bought another 12-bolt with 3.73 gears to swap in place of my 3.07 axle. Turns out, while everything looked okay, the center pin had friction weleded itself to the carrier, the gears were okay but one axle shaft was toast due to a bad bearing. So i paid $350 for a housing, gears and one axle shaft. yay. I think at this point I had spent $600 on used 12-bolts that didnt' work and I could have bought a set of gears and a posi for my current 12-bolt.

Early 2017 I sold my perfectly good 2008 WRX and bought a clapped out 1997 2wd Jeep Grand Cherokee for a daily driver. This seriously slowed down my truck progress for the rest of the year as I was always working on the ZJ. I put two motors and a transmission in the thing in a year.

some time around June, 2017, the External fuel pump started making noise again. I did weeks of research and I settled on a late 80's blazer EFI tank. The tank was huge and held 26 gallons, but I did it right. Steel hardline down the frame and nice poly braided -6an fuel line on both ends.

I also re-did my previous rear mount battery box for a fuel pump access hatch. I ended up having to use this several times on the side of the highway over the years and it's been very useful.

I realized how much i hated cheap header wrap and I pulled all the old wap off when I changed header gaskets.

The end of 2017 was pretty slow for truck stuff because I got married and bought a house. The only thing noteworthy was that one of my hood hinges broke and i figured out how to remove and reinstall the hood by myself with a cherry picker.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote