View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #26
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: No RTC (return to center) with steering, CPP

I have been following this thread and was holding off on commenting, but I have experienced some of the same issues with two different setups. First go 'round was with the following CPP variable/quick ratio box, CPP upper/lower arms, CPP 2.5" spindles, Hotchkis front springs, new Moog everything else (tie rods, pitman, idler). New Flaming River column and new rag joint. I was using a Saginaw power steering pump that came with my March serpentine system. I also have a Hydratech hydroboost setup. I had it aligned with +6* caster (maxed out), -1.2* camber and the factory toe setting (1/8" total, I believe). The truck 'throttle steered' and was twitchy on the road, especially on the the while on the gas. I didn't care for the feel of the CPP box at all, but my daily is an '05 GMC 1500 with r & p steering, not to mention, the last time a drove my '69 before taking it apart was 6 years ago, so that may be a factor. With a stout big block and a 5 speed, it was an absolute handful to drive. About 700 miles in (just finished frame off) the pump started whining and it really started acting up. I believe part of my issue was the cheap Autozone quality rebuilt pump that came with the March serpentine setup. So, along with this and other reasons (I wanted to center the front wheels in the wheelwell) I ordered Hotchkis upper/lower arms, an AGR steering box and AGR Saginaw pump. After installing the Hotchkis arms and bleeding out the AGR pump, I noticed that the lower ball joints on the Hotchkis arms where very tight like Ruscal experienced, I thought due in part to having to crank down on the sprindle/castle nut to get the cotter key in. I went as far as loosening up the nut and putting in a cotter key that was a couple sizes smaller that what's actually supposed to go in there and it was still really tight to turn back and forth. That's where I'm at now, as the motor dropped #1 intake valve on the test drive after getting the AGR box & pump installed.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote