View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
h0wb0y

Nasty Little Distributor

So, I recently came across an old 52 Chevy Panel in a barn - and after some brief conversation with the owner, I am setting out to help him restore it. It has been quite a while since I tore apart a motor. I used to do it so frequently growing up that I figured it would just all be how it used to be and I would remember everyone. I was wrong - I think - but either way, I could use some guidance.

I pulled the 283 out of the truck, and the motor seems to be frozen up. The owner swears it never seized due to overheating. I figured I would just pull everything apart and see for myself - because, with a SHOESTRING budget, it is this man's dream to see it running so he can drive it around the lake one last time... That's why I went from trying to possibly buy the thing to donating my time to this oldtimer.

When I got to the distributor, I took the bracket off that holds it in place, and I expected the distributor to turn one way and/or the other and then just pop out as I was turning and pulling upwards.

This did not happen at all. In fact, I have been at this thing with a can of PB Blaster several times a week, tapping with hammer as a spray and for about 5 minutes afterwards. It has been about a month now. Last Thursday, I took a pipe wrench to the expanded rings that are on the base of where the distributor sits on top of the manifold. I got a good bite in that shaft, but no movement either way.

Am I doing something terribly wrong here - like forgetting something? Or is there something quirky about a 283 that I don't know about? (I really only used to rebuild 350's every few weeks)

I have heard about some spray that chills the shaft with ammonia(?) in order for the rest of the lubricant to penetrate deeper. I am still looking for the stuff - but any help at all is much appreciated.

Thanks all!
h0wb0y is offline   Reply With Quote