View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
CRGRS 66

CRGRS 66 – Winter Build Thread

CRGRS 66 – Winter Build Thread

I waited many tears to be able to buy this truck, and finally this past March I realized my dream. Up until this spring it was just that, a dream. My father passed last December, he was 84. His was a life well lived, a great man to have for a father. My Mom passed away 10 years ago as well, so this truck is being built in honour of both my parents.

As I had waited so many years, part of my criteria when purchasing this truck was something that was driveable right away, something that was mostly original, and something that was not rotting off it’s frame. I looked at so many trucks within a price range that worked for me. So many of the trucks I looked at had fresh paint which scared me. This truck did not have fresh paint, and the PO who owned the truck since 1986, claimed that he never painted it. Judging by the condition of the finish, it sure looked like a paint job that was at least 25 years old. The upside I saw in this was that the body was in exceptional condition. There appeared to be very little rust beyond the surface rust. From some of the prices I see you guys paying for some of the trucks I have seen joining the forum since I joined, I believe I may have over paid, but at the end of the day my truck appraised for quite a bit more than I paid, so I feel good about it. Everyone who sees my truck for the first time has that look of astonishment on their face. They cannot believe how solid it is. I absolutely love my truck, I could stare at it all day long.

The other thing is that, again, after waiting so long, I want to drive it. I want to drive it every summer. That is the reason for the thread title. Whatever I take on this winter, my plan is to get it back on the road, and enjoy it again next summer.

So, here is my list for this winter, what I hope to get done.
1. Front disc brakes, c/w booster, 2.5” drop spindles, 2” lowering springs, and new brake lines
2. Porterbuilt stage 2 bag and shock kit.
3. I have a Camaro 5 speed lined up, with an S10 tail shaft.
4. 350 crate engine, way too pricey to rebuild the 283… sadly
5. HEI
6. Power steering
7. AC, undecided if I will use a salvaged original system, or a new aftermarket system
8. Wiring Harness, everything I have read tells me that the AAW set is worth the money
9. Reupholster seat (outsource), found a guy who is good, and not greedy
10. Refurbish and paint the column, and deluxe wheel that I picked up.
11. Sound deadening of the cab, carpet, and paint interior.
12. Restore gauge cluster, adding a tach, and maybe a clock on the other side
13. New front window seal

I will have completion by late spring on my agenda. I want to be back on the road driving by the end of May 2013 at the latest. Should be fun considering I am also coaching 2 hockey teams! Wish me luck! Motivate me men!
Attached Images

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote