View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #98
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: Alternator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unofornaio View Post
Ok so I have read this entire thread some parts 3 times and many others on the alternator swap/replace issue. LOTS of great wiring information and reasoning behind which to choose. In all that I have read I still have only came across the 2 listed below Specific Vehicle years and models to ask for or look up to obtain either the 12si or the cs130 alternators.

1. 89 Pontiac Safari is a CS130

2. 1988 Olds Firenza with a 2.0 FI (122cu) engine

3. Other articles refer to "early nineties GM trucks or the full size cars"

I also read the MAD Electrical article and I swear I saw a table listing makes and models or maybe part numbers. I just looked at it again and could not find what I thought I has seen.

I have a 68 C40 with a 350 in it. EVERYTHING ELSE in the engine bay is original that I know of. I believe I have the SAME alternator pictured in the MAD article which was a 1st gen si model. The original alternator was replaced and the exterior regulator and associated wiring (although still present) eliminated from the charging process. As far as I can tell from all the diagrams it appears the wire conversion to a single wire was done correctly. This was my brothers truck for several years and he did not have ANY issues with the wiring.

The alternator is currently reading 12v (directy at the unit) at idle. At this point I realize there is the "possibility" that reading could be correct and the truck just needs to run at a higher rpm or any other possible scenario but at this point its clear the unit needs to be upgraded so this is what I am starting with and need some help.
All of the food production equipment with be powered by a separate on board power system.

So here it is:
What make model and year do I search/ask for to purchase the cs130 version that will fit my vehicle?
P.S. I initially could not believe this issue is not been settled a hundred times over on here but after reading the posts I see that each one has a different tweek to it. Perhaps I am over-complicating things. I also read the alternator kinda post in the faq which really did not address the simple question of what vehicles have these alternators in them that will work for these trucks.
Thank you.
I have had too many problems with the CS-130 alternator over the past 30-years to ever intentionally put one into a vehicle if I have a better choice. They are poorly designed and overheat the bearings too easily which leads to early component failure. GM knew this and changed the design. They also designed a better alternator for the higher output levels that was available at the same time and many times in the same vehicle as an option, the CS-144.

The CS-144 is a much better design that is far more durable and isn't that much more expensive. A great fitting version that I use all the time in retrofit applications to muscle cars and trucks is from a 1993-1996 Caprice. 140-amp output option CS-144. There is also a 128-amp output option CS-144 in addition to the standard 105-amp output CS-130 alternator. It is a little bigger than the stock alternator but just takes some minor fab work on the upper bracket to get it to fit.

They all have the ribbed belt pulley so you will have to swap your V-belt pulley onto them but it is a straight swap so no big deal.

A new 140-amp CS-144 ACDELCO 3351048 $112.99 on RockAuto

I just used the one for the 1996 to 2000 GM truck & SUV application in the serpentine accessory drive I installed onto my 69 stepside.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote