View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 10:59 PM   #36
hewittca

Re: Sullii the 72 GMC 1500

This brings us to present again. I decided that the motor was not worth the hassle of selling, or scrapping. Those looking for a 307 to rebuild these days are very few and far between. Then I thought of a much better idea. This would make the perfect discovery project for my kids and to my delight, they are onboard. Over time, we will pull it apart while I teach them about the inner workings of a combustion engine. Then we will do a simple clean up and rebuild, replacing what needs replacing. One day, if time and interest allows, we will try and fire it up. The added bonus is that I will keep the engine which is original to the truck.

Meanwhile, in its place will go a budget friendly 5.3 LS swap. I have not procured a motor yet but I am on the hunt.

While I'm in there I might as well take care of a few other things (haven't we all been there before?). The two main things I want to accomplish while the motor is out are cleaning/painting all the suspension and frame components, and sectioning the crossmember. For this thing to be a static low driver I need to gain as much available drop as I can. That includes the 1.5" you can achieve by sectioning the crossmember. With the plans I have for the rear (details to come) I should be looking at a 7/9 static drop. Yes I know that is "too low" and I've spent hours reading all the threads on the topic of static drops. To me that still isn't very low. I'm used to driving my aircooled bugs and Golfs 2" off the ground. I'll be alright.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote