View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Question Oil Gauge Noise (Ticking)?

So I think my oil gauge is ticking. It's been bugging me for a bit now and I have just decided to focus on it after eliminating other things that move in the dash.

1. I don't hear it in the engine bay or under - so I am pretty sure its not coming from there or a exhaust leak.
2. If I have the door open while reving it up to 2.5k, I can't hear it over the engine.
3. Starts to peak / coming in around 2k or so. Let it go to idle its all but gone. So when you are driving with the AC on low at 65 you hear it real good (ugh).
4. I can bend over grab the oil line and "feel" the ticking pattern (matches what I hear).

So, is this a thing that your oil gauge can tick? I am not finding any search hits so it has me wondering if I am wrong here.

I do have a new line from LockDoc but I haven't installed as I need to get a new firewall grommet (actually, I need to get two, another one to seal up the old wiper holes pass-through). I doubled check to insure it isn't touching something (like vibrating on something metal). Though I suppose I could wrap it in some electrical tape to completely rule that out. I also suppose I could figure out a way to disconnect the line from the engine and block it off for a test...

Anyways, though I'd ask here before I start pulling to much apart LOL

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote