View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
mmoreno

Neutral Safety Switch

Hello everyone, I love this site btw, great information! I am working on a 1970 Chevy C10 step side, Automatic TM. My problem is I am installing an American Auto-wire harness and finding that the Neutral Safety switch was either installed or removed by the prior owner. I purchased a new switch and when installing it I am finding that the mechanism that engages with the steering column when shifting isn't long enough, basically doesn't seat into the slot to actuate. Everywhere I look, people are just writing about bypassing it. I can't really do that, unless I choose to live without reverse lights and the possibility of starting while in gear. Does anyone have a similar experience as this? I even went and bought a switch made by a different manufacturer, no luck. I attempted to lengthen the plastic insert but by leverage alone wouldn't pivot correctly, locking up the switch altogether. The truck was made late 1970 so I am finding 71 parts are more accurate to purchase but hell from 67-72 they are all damn near the same (Parts wise)... Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
mmoreno is offline   Reply With Quote