View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #21
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Quote:
Neat project. I'm looking forward to seeing your future progress!
Thanks for checking it out eventor!

Quote:
Nice work on the axle. I know those rivets are really tough to get out, they expand inside the frame when they hammer them in.
Thanks for the props Katrina/10! The rivets are kicking my butt. The first weekend I managed to remove 8, the second weekend I got out 29 and this last weekend 15 more.

I was inaccurate when I said that the cab had to come off to remove any more rivets, I had forgotten about the 15 that were already center drilled, those are the ones that came out last weekend. Unfortunately the "had to do's" took precedence over the "want to do's." I spent Saturday mowing, replacing the water pump on my daily driver (04 Silverado extended cab) and dealing with a neighbor regarding a new fence we need to build between us. Sunday: More recreational mowing followed by my 15 rivet removal and then head back to town and my regular job.

I hope very much to get the cab pulled next weekend. I'm a little unsure on a couple of aspects of shortening the frame and would appreciate some feedback. I drew up a diagram of the frame, see below. The horizontal black lines are cross members, the one in front and back of the differential also support the spring hangers. The red lines represent the frame reinforcing plates which are basically an inverted L (second diagram). The plan is remove the reinforcing plates, shorten the frame 18 inches either at A or B the cut 18 inches off of the front end of the reinforcing plates and bolt them back on with grade 8 bolts. I had initially planned on removing at point B but my brother said it would be stronger at A. What do you think?

Thanks for looking

-Richard
Attached Images