Thread: cracked block?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 02:19 AM   #22
76HighSierra
DAMN, I love Big Blocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by GSXMEN

Valve seals shouldn't have anything to do with leaking (they go over the guides). By any chance, did they install hardened exh. seats?

Many times, exh. seats are installed too deep - going into water.
I think he may have meant to say seats instead of seals . I'm just assuming, but from his description of what was performed, that's what it sounds like. Also, Keystroke, no offence intended, but don't waste your money on another set of heads until you find the root of the problem. Another set of heads isn't going to do you much good if your block is cracked. You have a very odd problem and if what you describe is true, I honestly can't even guess where that coolant is going to. Those plugs don't really verify that the lost coolant is being burned. I've done top end jobs on several engines, where the head (or sometimes aluminum intakes) warped, cracked or corroded, allowing coolant into the combustion chamber and without fail, the spark plugs (along with the piston tops) were washed damn near spotless. At the rate you're going through coolant, your plugs would be washed, not dirty. The coolant has to be going somewheres. Didn't somebody, earlier in the thread, suggest coolant dye to trace where the missing coolant is ending up? That may be a very good suggestion, at this point.
454 c.i.d./ TH400. *Soon to get a mild warming over.*
3.40 rear.

Last edited by 76HighSierra; 02-07-2004 at 02:38 AM.
76HighSierra is offline   Reply With Quote