View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #100
sfont66

Re: 72 C10 for my 25th wedding anniversary

In the back where the stake pockets meet the bed floor, I originally thought I could form this up, but as it turned out, it was just easier to cut it out and graft in the correct corner piece off the original floor.
I chose to tip over the 1/2” of metal before reinstalling the rear crossmember, I did this with a pair of flanging pliers, and then a hammer and dolly. The crossmember needed to be cleaned up a bit in the area where the crossmember and the pan meet, so I sandblasted this area, and applied weld thru primer in the areas that would get plug welds, and etching primer is other areas.
I still have to grind down the plug welds , and locate and drill the 4 holes for the bed bolts, I may even drill the front crossmember from below and tack weld in a piece of pipe so the bolts don’t tend to crush the bed pan when tightened down.
As for the fit of the bedsides….. the driver side fit great, no issues, the passenger side needed the typical help with bolt hole alignment.( a die grinder and bit are your friend here) eventually it will all have to come apart again for primer and paint, but with the bed on I was hoping to try to work on the exhaust, helping to locate the tips if I decide to go out the side in front of the rear tire again
Attached Images