View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #113
flomulgator

Re: 1990 GMC Suburban ... Cummins Powered

Amazing looking rig. I stumbled here because I have a 1991 turbo diesel Sub with plenty of work on it, but that has some persistent issues that would disappear with a 6BT Cummins. Since this is the most thorough, well thought out and written up job I've seen on the net so far, I thought I'd ask you a couple questions. If these answers are buried in the thread just tell me to hunt harder.

1. Frame thickness: you mentioned 88-90 is best. Is a 1991 frame thinner? It is still the old body style.
2. How necessary is the plating you did? Looks like you are building a serious Off-roader. Mine would maybe do some light trails but mostly Forest Service roads and a lot of freeway.
3. What is the minimum lift necessary for a 12v Cummins? I already have 33" that I like and that's pretty high. I don't want to add too much suspension lift.
4. I have a 3/4 ton axle swap (8 lug, 8.5" up front 14b, 9.5" out back), would these be strong enough for the Cummins?
5. Thoughts on Gear ratios for the Cummins?

Any insight would be valuable, as we have owned this vehicle from day 1 and want to keep it in the family for as long as the frame and body hold out. A Cummins just might take me there.
flomulgator is offline   Reply With Quote