View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
burnin oil

Re: 1959 Viking 40 6 speed manual

Brownies are unsyncroed so speed shifting is out. That said you can shift them pretty quick with practice. I have a 3spd and a 4spd brownie and both have a low "oil field" 1st gear so that one is not a splitter gear. Some of the hard parts are getting hard to find for the Spicer units but I did find a kit for a Spicer 7041 through SKF that was a hodge podge of bearings and seals from different manufacturers. I love the swap but I would either get a Clark trans or one of the dodge 5/6 spds with OD and make your life simple.

I have rhe 4spd in my dodge 5500 behind a 6spd manual and you definatly would have to want to hit all the gears to use it. When I do use it I just take off in under and work the main into fourth before I start an action on the auxilary. This is only when loaded heavy since the 6.7 will pretty much pull anything with the 6spd. The difference is I can pick the road speed and keep EGTs in check vs running a dictated gear/speed based on the standard gearing. My 51 Mack has a 5x3 but only 9 usable gears. The top 2 are the same and the low hole is 2 something to one so only used to creap.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote