Thread: Help please
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 AM   #12
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I have a question please. On a gauge cluster truck, I'm thinking the brown/white wire is the resistor.

Yes I thought I had mentioned that in a post above. It shares the ACC terminal on the key switch with the 12 gauge brown ACC wire.

Is the wire going to the light in this diagram the "fuel gauge feed" pink wire that also supplies power to the temp and brake lights and the temp gauge?

Yes the diagram below shows that very thing.

If so, could I add a generator warning light by simply powering it from the same pink wire, and add a brown wire at the point the brown/white wire comes into the cab?

You betcha, in fact you can add a "GEN" warning light by tieing one side of the light into any key on power source and then joining the other side to the brown wire on the inside of the cab, just like it shows in the modified pic you posted.

Cluster feed wiring.

Name:  Dash  Layout Final.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  41.6 KB

This is a light dash and if you look at the top, you'll see the key switch wiring with the 12 gauge brown ACC wire and the 24 gauge brown/white resistance wire sharing the ACC terminal.

Name:  60GMCRegulator.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  108.2 KB

notice the brown wire just above the red wire from the headlight switch. This is the gen light wire that we tie into at the inside cab firewall block. It is 20 gauge.

Here we have the diagram of the brown ACC wire shown by the black arrows and the 24 gauge resistance wire. Following the path of the resistance wire, it leads to the inside of the cab firewall block, which is behind the fuse panel, where it joins the brown Gen light wire on the light dashes, lower left. This wire is not included in the gauge cluster trucks.

Name:  Cab-1web.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  101.1 KB

Looking at the fuse panel, you can see the pink cluster feed wire coming into the panel and just to the right it goes out and up to the cluster plug to the no. 3 pin on gauge dashes, and to pin 7 on light dashes.

Now if you wanted to be slick you can use the temp light socket for your GEN light. Just install a bulb and run a brown wire from pin 5 on the cluster plug down to the inside of the cab firewall block to join the resistance wire, and bingo you have a GEN light. Careful though it may be green.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote