View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #61
RyanAK

Re: 78 Suburban surging then dies on long grade

Fuel comes out the return nipple on the pump at idle. Stops when revving the engine. I'll need to check back at the soft line sections at the between the pump and tank to make sure fuel is getting all the way back and not turning this into a deadhead system. Lines were blown all the way back to the tank when I first had this issue to make sure they were clear, so I'm thinking it's not a return line issue.

Rigged up a fuel pressure gauge after the temporary clear filter between pump and carb. 6.5psi at idle. 6.5psi at 2500rpms. No load, sitting in the yard. Engine up to temp.

Next to rig the gauge so I can see it while driving. (short drives... this is all hillbilly rigged together for diagnostics only!!)

The soft supply line going into the pump from the hard line on the frame was resting on a heater hose. Moved that and put a split piece of fuel line on it in that area as an insulator.

Fuel pump gets HOT. Now I'm thinking the heat on the pump may be the culprit. How do you keep a block mounted fuel pump cool?

Meet 'Earl', '71 C10 Suburban - Sold, but not forgotten...

Meet... yet to be named, ‘78 K10 Suburban Daily Driver
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote