View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 09:45 AM   #188
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Happy cold Thursday from Ohio.

Had a mostly free weekend to piddle with some more parts on the C10.

I finally was able to install the downpipe for hopefully the final time. Its a snug fit with the heat insulation but hopefully it does its job and the a/c box doesn't melt in half.

I plumbed the vacuum lines from the boost controller down to the wastegate. I used some turbosmart hose along with some 3/8 heat wrap/sock. It was bit of struggle getting it over the hose but I managed.

Saturday I started on the task of making up new trans cooler lines. I decided to keep the stock radiator cooler and just add in the air to air cooler up front. I for whatever reason thought the lines were all 3/8" so I bought some aluminum tubing and all the fittings, etc. ( I decided on tubing instead of hose because of how close everything is at the trans/downpipe area)

So I bent up about half the lines at the front of the truck only to realize Im a dumb $hit and the lines are really only 5/16. The cooler used 5/8-20 fittings which is for 3/8" tubing but everything else plumbed for 1/2" fittings. #FAIL

So I ran to jegs to get some 5/16" line. Then to 2 more parts stores looking for 5/16" compression unions and to get a flaring adapter for 5/16" line. Only to end up having to buy a whole kit because no one locally sells just the adapter.... So long story long I wasted most of a day looking for parts. I should learn patience and just worked on something else..

Previously I had fabbed up to little brackets and welded nuts to them for the cooler mounting bolts. I then welded the brackets to the core support.

Mock up of the lines and cooler. (you can see the 3/8" line that I wasted time bending)

I have the rest of the trans cooler lines bent and in place. I just need to tighten all the fittings and hope they dont leak. I dont love flaring lines..

I purposely mounted the cooler as low as I could so that the air to water radiator could be mounted above it. I found a china bay a/w radiator that would fit almost perfect. I wish it was a bit longer but the height and depth was perfect. Im not overly happy with the quality of the part but as long as it doesn't leak then it'll work.

I actually did mount it upside down because of the mounting brackets. Only difference is the drain is at the top which I dont really care about. I fabbed up a couple brackets to hold it in place. Just some right angle, more 1/8" rod and some captive nuts. I spray bombed the trans cooler and the a/w brackets so everything matched up. I put some narrow insulation tape on the backside of the cooler to keep everything from rubbing. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Everything fits behind the hood latch bracket and the grille fits without cutting anything. And I didnt cut a bunch of holes in the rad support for charge piping. Now hopefully it works. lol.

There was a large hole on the LH side of the core support that I was able to just "punch" out to pass the two 3/4" hoses through to get the water to the pump and intercooler. I cut up a small hose to put around the edge to keep everything happy. I mounted the bosch pump to the rad support with a fuel filter bracket I found on Amazon.

I picked up an inline rad cap assy to use since Im trying not to have an actual water tank. Im hoping the system has enough capacity without one. If not I think I can add one without too much trouble.

I have an elbow, extension and filter for the air intake mocked up. Everything just fits. I think I'll need to modify the "tube" once I get my pcv system in place. I believe it requires a fitting to be mounted.

Im still mocking up the charge piping. I need to cut a couple of pieces yet. I had to get an extension for the 90* at the throttle (not shown). I dont love how it looks but I think it'll work for now.

Im out of town next week so I wont have anything to post for a couple weeks maybe. I plan to order the driveshaft, upgraded pinion yolk and slip yolk so I'll have that when I get back.