View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #19
BaroneDog

Re: Rusty Roof Best Approach?

Thanks a lot for your reply ryans69chevy! Very helpful. Great suggestion about trying to maintain the integrity of the original piece as much as possible. I will try and follow the same method. Just one more question:

For the rear seam, I thought another thread stated that the rear roof section is welded underneath the roof (C to D in diagram below). If so, I am a little worried about getting the cut at the seam just right. For example, if I cut the path of A then I am good, but if I cut too vertical, like B, I might accidentally cut off the underlying lip. In order to keep the original roof skin whole, I would need to cut into the back seam without damaging C or D, right?

Also, I would happily view some pics of your build. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
I took my outer skin off. It's still off now I guess. It was time consuming to do, but I got it off nicely and fixed it up pretty good.
If it was me I would take it off as if you were planning on reusing it. Even though you stated in earlier posts you are going to buy a repop. Just in case the new roof doesn't fit exactly like you want - which is a common issue with repop items.
How I removed mine was by first sanding all the paint off around the whole roof where you have #2 on your drawing. You wouldn't go down the back of cab beyond the roof seam I guess. Then you will see or feel a bunch of spot welds. Take punch and punch the center. Drill them out with spot weld drill bit. There will be a ton of them! Then I cut directly in the back seam across the whole cab above the back window. I then took a flat screwdriver and dug under #2 in your drawing and started prying little by little until it popped off.
To answer your other question #5 isn't butt welded. The drip rail is spot welded. From your picture the spot welds are all about under the "R" where in your picture you wrote "drip rail". I also removed them to clean up those areas and put them back on.
Take a look at my build thread if you want to see some pics. I might even have some more that I didn't post if you want to see more of what I am talking about.
Attached Images

BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote