View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #14
68Gold/white

Re: The Old Yeller Resurrection Project

Rear disc brakes help stopping, but are not really needed, my opinion, strongly!

You can buy all the parts under the drum from a parts store. If you completely rebuild your rear brakes, now with the 6 lug drums, when converting to 5 lug the only thing you would have to do to the rear brakes is replace the drum with a 5 holer, may have to adjust brake shoes slightly, but that's all.

Both my 67 and 68 are inoperational at the moment, however when both get back on the road they will both be 5 lug and front disc equipped. NO DOUBT!

I do like the 6 lug front conversion deal. However I am not that familiar with the exact parts used.
The 71 and newer disc brake pickups have larger inner, and out bearings, I consider this to be a great improvement also.
If the 6 lug conversion comes with new spindles and the larger bearings, that would be a no brainer. I have been collection 5 lug rally wheels for a while, so, I will be doing the 5 lug deal regardless...

When you buy the bearings at a parts store, you can buy the bearing and race in a set. The disc break bearing sets are the numbers 5 and 3. The brand I sold, when I sold parts way back were A3 and A5, which were the part number designations for the sets.
The sets for the drum brakes were A6 and A2, both smaller than the disc sets.

Moser had been selling a pair of stock replacement axles for $260.00. I'm not sure if that price is still good. The axles are much stronger than stock units. You would have to tell them what you are doing, as far as converting to 5 lug. It may be best to measure your old ones also. Supposedly the 70 drum brakes axles are longer than all the earlier drum brake axles, beware.

What intake is that???
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote