View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 01:04 AM   #49
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

I could have used the cart I built for the front clip, by just cutting the posts. But I ended up taking most of it apart to build the platform. The cart wasn't designed for it. The width was perfect, but it was 7" longer than I'd prefer. That and I wanted to use 4x4s, more bolts, and my other casters.

The cart had 3/4" ply for shelving, but in the end another 30 bucks. At some point I'll add stakes to hang the fenders (space is a premium), and probably some eye bolts to strap the cab down. With the foam rubber I'm using on top the platform, it's level with the cab cart.

Ended up cutting some threaded rods, so the "carts" disconnect from either side. Access would be a real *%(*&%. I thought the 2/4s used to bolt up the platform would give the separation I was looking for, but the bolt heads were a "direct" fit against the cab. So I mounted 3/4" ply onto the cab cart. That worked out well, because I drilled through the ply instead of the cart.

2/6" was an accident, BTW, I figured it might come as an option to link the platform to the cart, and as soon as I slapped it on, I realized the platform is widest side to side, not front to back..HA!
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-21-2017 at 09:29 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote