View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #23
K-TEN

Re: Steering Wheel Restoration

A bit late to the show here, sorry. There's an off-the-shelf product at Home depot that is an epoxy product that I used. (Can't remember the name at the moment) Frankly, I would not use any of the stuff most of the retailers recommend. The problem is not that the product is bad. It's great, super hard. great. The actual problem is that the steering wheel material isn't as hard as the stuff you fix it with. So to sand and file the repair material down is a royal PIA. Next time I'd be inclined to use something much softer to be able to reshape to the correct profiles. I did paint the wheel with some rattlecan rustoleum and have not had any cracking or fading. Mine is a daily driver in the summer with a lot of miles going on it.
As far as an appropriate softer material-I don't know. Heck I'd almost be willing to try drywall compound for small stuff. Crazy I know. But I would have had a much easier time getting everything smooth and lined up. Cracking could be the obvious problem with that however. My cracks weren't that big. And after sanding against the old original material, it about looked like brown drywall compound. Very powdery.
Overall I'm happy with my wheel. It sure beats what it looked like before. But it isn't perfect but I'll deal with it.
K-TEN is offline   Reply With Quote