View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #11
gokellurself

Re: Kell's Two Cents - 1946 build

A little distraught I begin going through the different scenarios... I could fully cut out my V8 crossmember, redo it... I could hack a big patch into the firewall and make way...

in an act of desperation I wanted to try something else before going such distances. I ordered another set of transmission mounting tabs from Progressive automotive and cut off my old ones. On the V8 crossmember there was a little room near the back of the tube that I could chop off

The idea is to cut off what I can in the back and weld new tube to the front, hence moving the engine toward the front of the truck in an equal amount. I was able to get about 5/8" off the rear. I went to the steel supply and found a similar tube and tacked it to the front

With a port-a-band or something with a clean cut, one could simply take what was cut off the rear and move it to the front. I'm only working with a grinder however which I felt cut out too large of a portion. I welded all the way around and ground it smooth

I set the engine back in and got the new position for the transmission mount tabs, welded them in and recoated everything.

The engine and everything went back in fine, so the fix seems to be working. I have yet to set the cab back on, so we'll have to wait and see if I have the clearance I need for the firewall. At this point if I still have to make room and cut clearance into the firewall I figure it will be a lot less then would have been previously required. The one draw back I can see is underneath, as this moves the oil pan 5/8" closer to the V8 crossmember and could inhibit pan removal. I'll have to report back on that.

Anyways, I know this was a rather drawn out post but the SBC crash course continues until its up and running! Thanks for looking

Last edited by gokellurself; 07-21-2017 at 03:37 AM.
gokellurself is offline   Reply With Quote