View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Jrgunn5150

The never ending build of Daryl

I have another build thread on here, same truck, thing is cursed or something.

Anyway, almost 2 years ago now I headed south on vacation and picked this thing up outside of Little Rock Arkansas.

I think I paid 3200 for it, I don't remember. It's a 79, probably not originally a step, and definitely originally a 3 on the tree truck. It's currently a 400/TH350?3.08 12 bolt.

Had sweet rallyes on it in the pic on Craigslist, but when I showed up it had these oddball American Racing wheels on it.

Like 10 minutes after I bought it with my old Trailblazer,

The previous owner/owners somewhere along the way put trailer lights on it for brake lights, had to rewire them in the hotel parking lot,

I drove it all the way home though, with the bed full of tailgates from the local pick n pull down there, made about 400 bucks on those, paid for my gas lol.

This is where I went wrong, it all seemed alright, I could tell there was a bit of a patch on the area under the seat,

Pulled the floor mat, gross, but OK,

On the drivers side door you can see the alluminum flashing they cut to make a patch,

As I dug into it, I found a softball sized hole in the inner rocker right at the cab support and floor panel.

I'm no body man, so I took it to one. He quoted 500 bucks to install everything, if I already had the panels. So I took him the truck and panels and 500 bucks.

Seemed like he was on the ball,

The whole time he was pestering me to also paint the truck, and I was waiting to see what kind of job he did on the repair before I let him cover it in Bondo and Liquid Nails. So when time came for the rust repair to be done this February, he refused unless I paid him for paint also. He claims that was the reason for the 500 dollar quote.

Anywho, I'm not about being extorted, so I picked it back up, and now it's languishing in storage while I plot my next move.

Honestly I'm pretty bummed about the whole thing since I had a driveable truck and now I have a pile of garbage,

I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead and haul it home soon and see if I can't do it myself though, I have a welder, so what's the worst that can happen right? Lol.

Anyways, thanks for looking, and if you have any suggestions about how to tackle the rust repair, I'm all ears.

Link to Daryl's build, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...10#post8443010

Link to my Youtube channel with build info, https://www.youtube.com/thedrivewayengineer
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote