View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #18
Wiekser

Re: 1972 C20 -Airride conversion-

Allright.

I'm working on something I've never seen done before on a car. And I now know why

I'm going to feed the air system from a engine driven compressor just like semi trucks and tractors have.
I have seen cars with converted a/c compressors to get on board air, but they all have problems with compressor lubrication or oil in the air and in the entire system.

So I want to go with a proven air system concept, and make it fit on the pickup.
Starting with a compressor:

delivering from 2,83 cfm at 600 rpm engine speed up to 12 cfm at 2500 rpm
compared to electic compressors. Dual Viair 480C poduce about 3,53 cfm.

The only downside is viair will go up to 200 psi, the engine driven compressor will only go to 145 psi.
But I will only need a max of 80-90 psi to get the truck completely up.

The compressor gets lubricated by engine oil, much like a turbo would.
So Oil goes in through the back, and out from the bottom true this big hole.

(yes these are centimeters )

I made a bracket for the compressor to sit on:

Will get more attention in the future, It will look a lot better.

It will sit like this in the engine bay.

With a new mount for the dynamo.

mocked up a new crank pulley just for measuring and fitment.

I measured it all and a pulley is being made at the moment.

I need to get the oil from the bottom of the compressor back into the oil sump, so I made a small drain sump for the compressor.

It gets sandwiched in bitween the compressor and the stand. It could not be one piece, I would not be able to bolt the bracket to the engine.

I'm just waiting on the pulley at the moment, than I can make a belt tentioner and bolt it all up and see how it works. (I've no idea)

The compressor has a electric clutch inside the pulley, so i can shut the compressor off so only the pulley will spin. There will be a couple of other things I want to do with this, mostly for safety reasons, to keep the compressor reliable.
I will go deeper into this when I make it all.

For now this is it. I'd like to hear what you think of this idea. Good and bad things.

Yes there are a thousand reasons why I shouldn't do this. Mostly because of the hassle to get it working, but it's one of those things I just want. And I like to take on the challenge to get it working.

All Ideas, advice, critisism is welcome. Nothing better to learn from.

'72 C/20 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=809053
Wiekser is offline   Reply With Quote