View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #17
Lakeside65

Re: New to me 66 C10

Made some good progress over the weekend, got the bed on and bolted down and finished up the fuel filler jerry can.

I attempted my first drive to o'reillys (about 5 miles from the house) and I got about a mile up the road before the truck started stumbling and running like crap. I knew these snipers could be kind of weird so I made my way back home to try and figure it out. I had to drive by the city golf course on the way, and at this point the truck would not go over 10 mph and was popping and backfiring like a gunfight, I'm sure everyone watching was real impressed. Anyways, I limped it back to the driveway and knew I needed to check the timing so I hooked up the light and set static timing to 15 degrees in the ECU and hit the key, and it backfired like a 9mm going off. Scared the crap out of me, my wife and my baby sitting there watching. Long story short, I found the distributor hold down bolt had loosened and the distributor had spun enough that when I set static timing and the ECU couldn't try to make up for how far off it was then it had to fire with an exhaust valve open. I'm not too knowledgeable compared to most, but that is the only thing that makes sense to me. Lesson learned the only way, the hard way. After I got timing set everything ran smooth as butter and I got the first 10 miles on her. Of course, I ran into more issues. The pinion seal is leaking which wasn't a big deal with the bed floor installed, but with the bed floor out that gear oil is slung EVERYWHERE and I can only assume the cars behind me might get a bit of it as well. Hopefully I can get that fixed this week. I am so close to being back on the road and it is an awesome feeling! Enjoy some photos of the truck and fuel filler attached.
Attached Images