View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 01:43 AM   #28
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Build #2 Crusader!

Looks like a great project Mike. Looking forward to watching this built take place. I get out to the Elkhart area several times a year and these old trucks are pretty rare out in the salt belt. The nice thing about the Elkhart area is the access to a lot of new take off parts that the RV and conversion companies prune off perfectly good vehicles. I stopped by a few of those take off peddlers over the years and found a bunch of nice stuff (bucket seats, steering wheels, wheels, etc). Just too costly to ship most of it to the west.

I’d love to come see your projects some time. I work for a motorized stripped chassis suppler to the RV and stepvan industry and get to your area way too many times a year. Usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn off 19 at the toll road. It seems the people at Texas Roadhouse across the bridge from the hotel in your town recognize me more than my own neighbors here at home do. I’m well connected with the crew at Naquin’s if you need a contact for GM parts.

I had to laugh when I read the part about the steering column as I just picked up an ’89 Suburban that needed the same work. All 4 bolts in the tilt mechanism were backed out and actually tore up the upper bowl. Such a common issue on those old Saginaw steering columns.

The Silver Dollar turned out great! Can’t wait to see what you do with the crew cab. Momma will be proud to cruise that around.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote