Thread: Barn raising
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #25
Mike Bradbury

Re: Barn raising

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
The truck is looking great. I was wondering what the color was. In most pics it kind of has a turquoise or aqua look, but a couple pics it looks like regular blue.

On the tires, I know you put a lot of thought and work into them, but was wondering... why not just use the template your sister made to put on the sidewall and spray paint the letters on? Didn't some tires come with the letters done that way? If the color wears or peels off, just use the template to touch it up.
Thanks guys for the encouragement, it really has been a labor of love, there are aspects of this truck that as any builder will tell you, it is hard to put a price on because you'll never get out what you put in.

The color is turquoise, It had been very cheaply painted by the p.o. several times but the correct factory color, the paint is pealing in spots so it kind of has that flat look now, but in different light it will grab some of the remaining metalic flecks and change a bit.

As far as the tires go I wanted them to look as close to the real ones as possible. I wanted raised white letters not the painted on kind mostly because the info I was getting on the paint was that it tends to leach the black petroleum through the paint and turns the white to kind of brownish.
I have one more try in me before I get out the paint can. This is why I saved the negative side of the rubber cut out for a last ditch effort, but even at a distance the raised whites look far better than mere paint. Good year used to have raised whites on the race cars but switched to just painting the logo on probably because it is much cheaper and easier to produce and since the tires only last a few dozen laps then are discarded. I wanted the passer by to stop and really look and ask "where did you get those tires" not just "oh he painted them on" It is still not out of the question but it is last on the attempt list.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583

Last edited by Mike Bradbury; 08-30-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote