Thread: 1970 Nova....
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #37
bs46488

Re: 1970 Nova....

So I'm a beginner when it comes to paint and body work. This car required a lot of body work to get it looking decent. But I'm happy with how the body panels are turning out. Unfortunately I've learned some bigger lessons about the painting part of the equation.

This past week I've been working hard to get everything painted and on the car so that I could clean up all the body parts laying around the garage and shed.

Painted the doors so I could mount them on the car and load my paint "booth" with the front end. It was late in the evening when I mounted the doors and noticed this....No way around it, this door is a completely different color:

Front end still in the booth:

The first car I painted was my C10 and I went with metallic gray. I learned all the common problems about rookies painting with dark metallics (tiger stripes, mottling, flaws in the body work, etc) So I went with Arctic White because of the forgiving qualities of the color. Thinking that I could panel paint/touch up any issues that arrive. I had to order a 2nd gallon of paint to finish the job and you can clearly see the rear was painted on the 1st batch and doors and front end are painted on the 2nd.

I reached out to the company and they said that their paint is mixed and batches and there can be some differences in the final color. But since mine was so drastic they are sending a replacement gallon of paint. I think that was very great of them....but unfortunately I guess I'm sanding the whole car for a repaint.

I've toyed with the idea of some sort of vinyl wrap/decal on the rear quarter to see if I can trick the eye to not notice the color difference (as bad). At least that way I can finish the car and drive it for a few years before having to repaint it.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161

Last edited by bs46488; 04-01-2019 at 02:23 PM.
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote