View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #9
pwdcougar

Re: Painting a Suburban part two

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM55 View Post
I agree 100%

You got 2 choices filler over epoxy or filler over bare metal if you are taking it down to bare metal. Once epoxy is covering everything that can rust, then you can move on to your fill primers. I use slicksand and its nice but unnecessary if you don't need that high of a build, its like sprayable filler (but it will not hurt anything to use it) the epoxy will act as your rust protection. Once you get to high fill primer its time to guide coat and block. This is where the work comes into bodywork.
Thanks for the input. I bit the bullet and sandblasted the drip rails so everything can get the epoxy primer. I'm using Omni from the local autobody supply store. The other primer I've been using is Nasom. On all my other body work I topcoated with that so it was easier to scuff and sand. I'll have to look into a high fill primer for the roof now.

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote