Thread: The Pig Rig!
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #68
ericjon262

Re: The Pig Rig!

last night at work, I started working on a list of things I either need to do, or acquire for taking the Pig Rig on longer trips, like to Alaska and back

one of the major things I started with was spare parts, in this case, I looked for single point failure parts that disable the truck and can't be easily rigged up or bypassed to limp home on, and then added things that can make roadside "repairs" get you somewhere where a real repair can be completed.

Parts/materials:

IGN coil
IGN module
Belts
Fuel filter
JB weld
Zip ties
Bailing wire
Electrical wire/crimps/tape
RTV
tire plug kit

with the exception of the belts, I'm 99% sure all of that will fit into a single 7.62 ammo can, the belts might fit as well depending on how tight I can cram everything in.

but obviously, this is only half the picture, if you have parts, but no tools to install them, then you may as well not have the parts, so I'm also going to make up a tool list containing the tools necessary to install belts/coils/modules, as well as a few common wrench sizes and a small socket set, double covering common GM sizes like 3/8, 1/2, and 9/16.

on the other side of the field, I began looking at things I would like to add to make trails and trips more accommodating.

The truck has an AUX battery already, but I'm not sure what circuit triggers the solenoid to allow it to be put to use.
I need some means of adding pressure to the tires when getting off the trails
Recovery gear in in the event I get stuck, which is a whole topic by itself...
camping gear to include a means of cooking food and making coffee
a water supply
communications of some kind, I'm looking into signal boosters for cell phones.
animal control (bear spray and the like)
and a charging station for go-pros, phones, and the like.

I will elaborate more on how I plan to accomplish some of these ideas as I go.

My trucks don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

Last edited by ericjon262; 04-29-2019 at 09:24 PM.
ericjon262 is offline   Reply With Quote